Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Webb's not committed to cloture for next time. From his press people (emphasis added):

Washington, DC– The following is a statement issued by Senator Jim Webb on his vote to proceed to debate on the Immigration Bill. His vote has been consistent with past cloture votes to proceed to and continue debate on the Senate floor:

“I voted today to initiate debate on the immigration reform bill just as I voted on May 21 to initiate debate the first time the bill was brought up. Once amendments are considered, I will decide whether to vote on cloture to end debate, as I did on June 7 when I voted against cloture.

“I have introduced an amendment that narrows the scope of the bill by creating a path to legalization for those who have put down roots in this country and strikes the unworkable ‘touchback’ provision. I believe my amendment holds promise of finding a solid middle ground on which to base meaningful immigration reform. I look forward to a rigorous debate this week on my amendment and others.”